Since we are in the cold-weather season, I thought it would be a good idea to blog about heating safety.
- If your power goes out and you are fortunate enough to have a generator, be sure that the generator is located ten feet away from your house with the exhaust pointed away from your home. Never use your generator in enclosed places, including garages.
- Make sure you only use approved heating oil in your furnace. Do not use regular gas as it could cause a fire or explosion.
- Do not use your gas stove to heat your home. Your gas oven was designed to operate with the door closed for the purpose of cooking food. Using your gas stove to heat your home can is a fire and safety hazard and could possibly lead to the production of toxic carbon monoxide gas.
- Install at least on carbon monoxide detector in your home.
- Install a fire detector on every level of your home.
Find out more information about heating your home safely, cold weather heating tips, what to do when your power goes out and about Carbon Monoxide, check out the links below: